Saturday, October 29, 2011

Banking Hiccup

I keep savings accounts at 2 different banks.  No real good reason, I opened a second one a few years ago when they were giving away $150 dollars to open up an account.  For that second one, I rarely deposit/take out money from it, and for the most part, I don't pay attention to it.

Once a month I check on all of my accounts.  When I went to check on that particular account this month, I noticed that I was charges a 30 dollar maintenance fee.  I immediately called the bank, and I was told that I wasn't keeping enough money in the account for them to waive the fee.  Mind you, I only have $19,500 in that account, so I guess it's understandable on their end, right (what a joke)?  They wouldn't refund me over the phone, so I took a trip down to the local branch.

The woman at the bank was more than happy to refund the fee, and put me into the appropriate account.  You see, if she hadn't, I was fully prepared to close my account, TAKE CASH, and make her stand there and count every last dollar.  I guess the 30 dollar fee wasn't worth it to her.  Moral of the story - keep track of these banks; I had no idea they were going to start charging this fee.  Also, if something like this happens to you, STAND UP FOR YOURSELF.  This isn't their money, its yours!  They should be happy that I've given them access to almost 20 thousand dollars to loan out at a higher interest rate than what they are paying me at, they're not doing me a favor by keeping my money for me!

On a good note, all of the money in my roth ira has transferred over to the new account and I'm simply waiting on a market dip to make some new purchases.  Also, October was a great month for my dividend total; the update is coming out soon!

2 comments:

  1. What a joke, $20k wasn't over the minimum?
    Two words: Credit Union!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by.

    Yeah, I feel the same way on this. Instead of a credit union, I was thinking of taking the money and just buying a conservative dividend stock.

    ReplyDelete