Saturday, April 14, 2012

New Plans with the old 401k

Haven't been posting much, partly because I've been pretty busy, but also due to the markets running wild, and I'm waiting for a bigger pullback than we've seen recently.  I'm sitting on a lot of cash right now though, so I'm hoping to make a purchase within the next week or so.

After much thought, I've decided to roll the old 401k into the new one.  The new plan has more choices (and better choices) than the old one, so that's good.  I changed my mind though from my initial plan, which was to just roll it into an IRA.  I've decided against this due to tax implications.  I currently do not have a non-roth IRA.  Not having one is actually an advantage if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is too high to regularly contribute to a roth.  As it stands without one, next year when my AGI is too high to contribute directly to a roth, I can open a non-deductible IRA, and then immediately convert it to a roth, since there is no cap on the conversion.  Since I don't get an initial tax break on opening the non-deductible IRA, there will be no tax bill on the conversion.  If I were to do this already having an IRA, then there would be a taxable event, as the government would consider the total of all of my IRAs (the non-deductible and the rolled over 401k) when determining my tax bill, and I have obviously received a tax advantage from the 401k, so I would have to pay taxes on a portion of the conversion.  Does all of this make sense?  More importantly, am I right?  Hope to be back to more exciting stuff in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment