Saturday, September 22, 2012

All quiet on the home front

September's been a pretty quiet month for me on the investing front.  On one hand, the market has been on fire, which results in less value to be had.  On the other hand, September has been a pretty expensive month for me, with car insurance, new tires, a wedding last weekend, and quarterly taxes due. Because of all this, I haven't made any new purchases, and the blog has been pretty quiet.  But fear not, activity is brewing.  If I don't buy anything next month, I'll definitely be making some purchases next month.  On top of that, I've started looking at some affordable houses to buy.  I just can no longer make sense of paying the amount of rent that I do and keeping a ton of money in a bank account doing next to nothing, when I could be living in a place of my own, building equity for not that much more money than the rent (if anything more at all).  This does not mean that my dividend investing days are over, I still plan on investing as I always do.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, I am also in the rent vs own quandary, which is no real quandary, since I know a home is pretty much a mandatory investment, especially as I hope to retire with a paid off mortgage. But there is the small matter of deciding where to buy, and realizing if you buy right now, you will be living there for quite some time, since in most markets, selling is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HYS,

    Thanks for stopping by. I've been thinking about buying for a while now, but you're right, you need to make sure that you're going to be living there for a while, and that's why I've delayed buying a home to this point. But now, on top of the points I mentioned above, I now work for a much more stable company than I did a year ago, and the new job is going really well. The other thing I was thinking about was that if I needed something bigger in just a few years, I could probably just rent out this place (my father had quite a few rentals growing up, so I have an idea of what goes into being a landlord).

    ReplyDelete